Sunday, November 20, 2016

Defining Shibui

Shibui 1, collage by Donna Watson

Shibui (or Shibusa) is an enriched, subdued appearance or experience with economy of form, line and effort, producing a timeless tranquility.  Shibui objects appear to be simple overall but they include subtle details, such as textures, that balance simplicity with complexity.

The aspects of things that are most important
for us are hidden because of their 
simplicity and familiarity.
--- Ludwig Wittgenstein

Shibui 2, collage by Donna Watson

This balance of simplicity and complexity ensures that one does not tire of a shibui object but constantly finds new meanings and enriched beauty that cause its aesthetic value to grow over the years.  Shibui should not be confused with wabi sabi.  Shibui objects are not necessarily imperfect or 
asymmetrical, though they can include those qualities.

If one's life is simple, contentment has to come.  Simplicity is 
extremely important for happiness.
--- The Dalai Lama

Shibui 3, collage by Donna Watson

The colors of shibui are 'muddy' colors.  For example, in painting, gray is added to primary colors to 
create a silvery effect that ties the different colors together into a coordinated scheme.  Depending on how much gray is added, shibui colors range from pastels to dark.  Occasionally, a patch of brighter
color is added as a highlight.

Shibui 4, collage by Donna Watson

The seven elements of shibui are simplicity, implicity, modesty, silence, naturalness, everydayness and imperfection.  The simplicity is the expression of the essence of the elements.  Implicity allows depth of feeling to be visible through a spare surface.  The person of modesty exalts excellence by taking time to learn, watch, understand that merges into silence.  Naturalness conveys spontaneity in growth, unforced.  Everydayness raises ordinary things to a place of honor. Imperfection suggests
imagination at work, instead of a finished picture that provides all the answers.

small collage by Donna Watson, with various objects, image taken by Donna Watson

 Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the LIGHT gets in.
--- Leonard Cohen, RIP, 2016



22 comments:

india flint said...

we seem to be singing from the same page....i have an exhibition doing the rounds that references shibusa, and also a class at Maiwa next year. zeitgeist at work?

ELFI said...

simplement 'ZEN' et beau!

Roberta Warshaw said...

Beautiful. I am just now learning about adding grey to primary colors in order to get some lovely colors that work well together.

Aine Scannell said...

beautiful balanced pieces and love the subtlety

ronnie said...

I was about to comment --- "oo look the universe is giving me shibusa everywhere I go" but I notice that india (where I first spied the word) has already chimed in ..... serendipity ...

lovely post xxxxx

annell4 said...

What a wonderful post. Thank you so much for coming by. Happy Thanksgiving.

Tammie Lee said...

There is a soothing feeling to your pieces.

Sharmon Davidson said...

Thanks for sharing the concept of shibui, of which your collages are beautiful examples. I love the simplicity and tonal variations. One of my favorite Leonard Cohen quotes, too. He will be missed.

Barry said...

Hi D - love the subtly of the colours and textures. B

Caterina Giglio said...

beautiful work, balance.. complexity and texture...

Ruth Andre said...

Nice to see these lovely works.

Sok Sareth said...

Thanks. You reminded me of some bands that I haven't listened too for a long time.
thank you for your sharing!

ตารางคะแนนพรีเมียร์ลีก

Anonymous said...

I read a lot of essays about Pablo Picasso (now in my college I write a great study about his work). And I came up with the idea that you can apply the Shibui method to his creativity, especially to later works with elements of Cubism and clear geometry.

Brother Printer Wireless Setup said...

From last night, whenever I print something from my brother printer, then instead of giving me print it throws some errors. Now, I am in doubt to create Brother Printer Wireless Setup as I have previously tried everything that I could. Can anyone guide me towards the appropriate ways by which I can create setup of my brother printer. Please provide me some ways by which I can resolve my brother printer errors easily.

Mark Spencer said...

The very next time I read a blog, I hope that it won’t fail me as much as this particular one. I mean, Yes, it was my choice to read through, however best assignment writing I genuinely believed you would have something helpful to say. All I hear is a bunch of complaining about something that you could fix if you weren’t too busy searching for attention.

ركن المثالية said...

تسليك مجاري
تسليك مجاري
تسليك مجاري
تعقيم منازل

Anonymous said...

Students have plenty of other things to do apart from completing the assignments like studying for their academic exams, participating in extracurricular activities, part-time jobs, etc. Therefore, it becomes necessary for them to take assignment help, and there is nothing wrong with it. But paying for getting the assignment completed or not is again a big question that comes to mind while looking for Assignment Provider For this question, my answer would be to go with the paid services as when you take something for free it is not reliable enough.
Biomedical Science
Introducation of Nursing

Mark Watson said...

To proceed with ATT Router default login, you would need the credentials. Now, to find it, you are supposed to go to gateway settings, scroll to gateway status, now you must locate the wifi and then you should check network IDs SSIS for the wifi network names and then you must look at network keys for the wifi password. By applying the steps, you can simply resolve the issues without any fuss.

Amelia Watson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Online Tutoring Services said...

I really appreciate your work especially the research you have done to write this blog. Your blog is very much appealing and best for someone who is new to blogging. Its not that easy taks to write on topics related to Maths Online Tuition but you have done a tremendous job. Kudos to you. Keep writing and improving. Thanks for sharing this, all the best.

Blogs said...

I'm truly impressed by the insightful content on this blog! It's evident that the author has a deep understanding of management concepts. For anyone seeking Nursing Assignment Help, I highly recommend checking out "Do My Assignment." They offer invaluable support and expertise in this field. Keep up the great work, and thank you for sharing such valuable resources!

Blogs said...

I found this blog post incredibly informative and insightful. The depth of knowledge and research presented here is truly commendable. As a nursing student, I appreciate the valuable content provided. It's evident that the author has put a lot of effort into this. For further assistance in nursing assignments, I highly recommend Nursing Assignment Help from Assignment Help Pro. They are experts in the field and can provide invaluable support.